Sunday, September 25, 2011

Characters I Wish I'd Created

Man, I suck at coming up with topics to blog about, so today I decided, you know what? Why not just draw inspiration from my old blog? I blogged at Livejournal for 10 years, and some of those posts are worth resurrecting. In one of my first posts, I asked myself what characters I wish I'd created. Here was my list, back in 2002:

Nightcrawler from the X-Men.
Jack Skellington from the Nightmare Before Christmas.
Setzer Gabbiani from Final Fantasy VI.
Jonathan the Zombie Master from the Xanth books.
Saitou Hajime from the anime Rurouni Kenshin.
Tyldak from the Elfquest comics.
Wolf from the 10th Kingdom.
Chaucer from A Knight's Tale.
Auntie Mame from the classic film of the same name starring Rosalind Russell.

I still like all these characters, but, my list would look somewhat different nowadays! I think I'd still take Jonathan the Zombie Master and Wolf. I could see fitting them into a story somewhere. (Of course, Freddy in Dark Metropolis is totally my own Jonathan if I'm being honest.) Usually when I love a character, I end up co-opting the parts of them I like and changing them into something that's mine instead.

Some characters I'd add to the list nowadays:

--Pretty much everyone from Avatar: The Last Airbender, but especially Prince Zuko. Who doesn't love Prince Zuko? And Uncle Iroh because, well, the best characters often come in groups that play off each other, and I can't imagine Zuko without Iroh. But seriously I love that entire cast so much.
--Damon from Vampire Diaries. No need to explain! He steals the show!
--Yasu from NANA. He's a lawyer, also in a rock band, and he's the fallback "protective guy" for everybody, which I love. And he's bald and everyone teases him about it. But he's also really hot. I would never have been able to create him, though, because I can't draw a hot bald guy like Ai Yazawa can. I also love George from her Paradise Kiss manga, but he reminded me of a character I already had at the time, so it's not quite the same.
--Emily of New Moon. It's not like anyone but L. M. Montgomery COULD have written Emily, but now that I'm writing middle grade, I'd kill to have created this character.
--Harold from Harold and Maude. I'm not sure I could pull off the "falling in love with an old lady" part, but I love Harold... Well, I love Maude, too, just...well, the ending of this movie was so depressing.
--Char Aznable from Gundam. Sexy, complicated...one of the most well-known anime characters of all time for a reason...
--Quinton and Sally from the Thieves and Kings comics. The whole cast of this comic is great, but I particularly love how complicated Quinton and Sally are.

I'm sure I could think of a lot more if I wanted to spend all day at this...

Have you ever encountered a character in someone else's story and wished they were yours? (I know plenty of people do, hence, fan fic! Which I did write, myself, as a teenager.) Tell me who!

6 comments:

  1. Ah, what a great post and so true about those characters. What's especially cool about Rurouni Kenshin is that many of the characters are real historical figures, including Saitou. Even Kenshin was based off of a real hitokiri during the revolution :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I remember finding a photograph of the real Saitou Hajime and being kinda disappointed that he didn't look much like the anime version. Of course, I sort of knew that would happen, but still. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you wish you created him, but Mu La Flaga is one of the only (if not THE only) characters I've ever seen you read spoilers to see if he dies... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily of New Moon - YES! Score. Man she's awesome.

    Hmm... who do I wish I'd created? Claire from Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER, Asha Greyjoy from GAME OF THRONES.

    And btw - got my personalized GLASS! Awesome - thanks SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dade: Mu La Flaga wasn't really a character that cried out to move into my headspace, I guess, but that is a different thing from liking a character, and I was Very Concerned about him!!

    Mindy: Oh, Claire is definitely a great character.

    ReplyDelete