Monday, May 7, 2012

Books like Magic Under Glass/Between the Sea and Sky/Magic Under Stone

I periodically get hits to my blog from people Googling "books like magic under glass", etc. Of course, I don't know what it is that these readers are looking to replicate...the style, the time period, girls who fall in love with robots, what? But I thought I'd recommend a list of some YA that I like that I also think my readers would probably like because some aspects remind me of my own work.

Faery Rebels (in the UK, Knife) by R. J. Anderson
The Hollow Kingdom trilogy by Clare Dunkle
Jessica Day George's books
Eva Ibbotson's YAs like A Countess Below Stairs
Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott
A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan
Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
A True and Faithful Narrative by Katherine Sturtevant

Are there any other books you've read and enjoyed that remind you of my books? Feel free to let me know in the comments. If I haven't read them I'll certainly add them to my list!

8 comments:

  1. I think when I look for books like another one I've read I'm mainly looking for another book that makes me feel the same way. The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner kind of had the same feeling for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good suggestion! Kirkus mentioned that in their review of Magic Under Glass as well! It's been a while since I've read it; I'd forgotten!

      Delete
  2. Oh I LOVED Shadows on the Moon. Great read. And I can see how it's similar as I loved Magic Under Glass too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entwined by Heather Dixon reminded me of your books - not that they're so much similar, but there's the same kind of pseudo-Victorian world, and magic, and dapper gentlemen. And a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I've just realized that comment needed to be re-read before I posted it, because now it makes no sense. What I meant was, Entwined has similar elements but the stories aren't very much alike. Ugh, it's too early for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, either way, you definitely made me want to read Entwined...

      Delete
  5. this is very good blog posting, thanks for sharing
    Satta king

    ReplyDelete