Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sketchbook Pages

As many of you know, I sketch to develop stories. Whenever I go to school visits and things kids love to look at my sketchbook, but most of the drawings are just little heads or fashion sketches so I don't upload them as much as I should because I feel like I have to wait until I have something special, which rarely happens (although stay tuned, I have a little comic series upcoming!). So I decided I'll just start periodically throwing up pages from my sketchbook, special or not, without even erasing the random little heads and ugly pictures. Most of these characters have yet to appear in published books (well, since I only have one published book that isn't hard).

Page 1: In the top left I started sketching someone's little dog at a craft fair, with the intention of sketching many hipster beards, hipster pets, hipster clothes, but it was too cold to draw. Otherwise, this page has Between the Sea and Sky characters. Top: Lalia Tembel, Esmerine's bitchy friend, as a kid. Left: Protagonist Esmerine and love interest Alan as kids. Right: Alan's little sister Karinda. (Wings are such a PAIN to draw but dang is she adorable.) Bottom: Just a wee sketch of young Alan.
Page 2: Sketch of the back view of our retreat house in Key Largo. Otherwise known as "playing with my new pens". While I was drawing a bird wandered in, and then left, so I quickly captured him in the bottom corner.
Page 3: Top left, Det petting his cat, top right; Alfred apparently having a serious conversation with Lester and then Thessia; random heads; Ifra from Magic Under Stone.










5 comments:

  1. I love your sketches! I tend to do a lot of drawing when I'm writing so it's great to see others' sketches and their processes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful, Jackie! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! This makes me want to pull out my sketchbook :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I'll keep posting pages every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is good site and this post is very good
    Satta king

    ReplyDelete